« Home | Laughter for the Heart » | Health: The Adventist Way » 

Saturday, October 22, 2005 

Who is Ellen White?

In the first post of this blog, Health: The Adventist Way, I mentioned that future posts would contain articles that agree or disagree with the Health Teachings of the Seventh-Day Adventist (SDA) Church. The teachings come from 2 sources: the Bible and the writings of Ellen G. White.

Who is Ellen G. White?

Ellen White is the last recognized prophet of God by the SDA Church. She was born November 26, 1827 and had a twin sister, Elizabeth. When she was 9 years old, she was involved in an accident in which a rock hit her face breaking her nose and causing her to fall into a state of semiconsciouness for 3 weeks. Her injuries caused difficulty in her studies and she had to leave school after receiving just less than 3 years of formal schooling.

"It seemed impossible for me to study and to retain what I learned.... My nervous system was prostrated, and my hand trembled so that I made but little progress in writing, and could get no farther than the simple copies in coarse hand [first level in penmanship].... My teachers advised me to leave school.... It was the hardest struggle of my young life to...give up the hope of gaining an education."[LLUMC Legacy: Daring to Care]

Despite her handicap, she wrote more than 5,000 periodical articles and 40 books and 50,000 pages of manuscript. She wrote articles about health & nutrition, education - areas where she had no formal education or schooling. From the age of 17 to her death at the age of 87 she claimed to have received about 2000 visions and dreams from God. [Ellen White: A Brief Biography]

Try searching her name on Yahoo! or Google and you will come up with hundreds if not thousands of links that aim to discredit her teachings - plagiarism, hallucinations because of the head injury as a child, wrong health advice:

The Ellen White Research Project
Ellen G. White's Crack Health Reform

I do not intend to persuade anyone
about anything. In this age of evidence-based learning, I will try to see if modern medicine has completely proved or disproved her teachings.

Then again, nothing is absolute in medicine.

Categories: , , , ,

Ongoing Poll

About me

  • Rygel MD
  • Philippines
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Image Hosting Blogarama - The Blog Directory Directory of Medicine Blogs blog search directory