« Home 

Friday, October 21, 2005 

Health: The Adventist Way

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" [1 Corinthians 6:19]

I was born and raised as a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA). In this religion, health & education is emphasized as much as spiritual concerns to the point that most of the members believe that it is a sin to go against the religion's principles of health.

As a kid, there were so many things - healthwise - that was prohibited. Pork, most of the seafoods, smoking, drinking alcohol… the list was endless. Yes, the dangers of some of these prohibited things are pretty obvious but it was not the ill effects that was used to persuade us (kids) theese things rather it was almost implied that eating or indulging ourselves in these things was the same as murder, adultery - and so was the punishment - HELL!

As I continued my studies, I came across books, articles and studies that showed me other reasons (aside from going to hell) why I should follow the health principles of the SDA Church. It was no longer blind obedience but rather an enlightened/educated one.

I am now a physician. I am not an expert in any field (yet) but I will try to provide scientific proof to prove OR disprove the validity of the health principles of my religion which are based on the Bible and on the teachings of Ellen G. White.

Throughout medical school, I have relied heavily on my textbooks for information and I am new to medical research on the World Wide Web. So please bear with me if at times I present conflicting articles or studies.

There is nothing absolute in Medicine, so I welcome every comment and/or additional information you can provide for any of my posts.

Enjoy reading.

Categories: ,

Well, I've read some articles about healthy food and things like that. They made me puzzled a lot and don't know whether this article is right or that article is right.

Post a Comment

Ongoing Poll

About me

  • Rygel MD
  • Philippines
My profile

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates Image Hosting Blogarama - The Blog Directory Directory of Medicine Blogs blog search directory